Welcome!

Welcome me, welcome you! Athough I am not sure I have much to say, that anyone wants to listen to that is, I thought it might be fun to start a blog and archive my thoughts, pictures, writings, and attempted recipes and crafts! So, this is more of an area for me to be ME and to explore, vent and get creative. Enjoy, I plan to!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Dryer Sheets: Take 2!

I love dryer sheets!  I used to place them in my luggage when I packed and when I stored it, in my storage bins and in my clothing drawers - dry sheets every where!!  But they are pricey and we noticed the Great Dane (Marlee Sue) eating them!  She goes crazy over them and steals them whenever she can - silly dog! So we started making our own. (side note: I now use cotton rounds with a couple of drops of essential oils in my drawers and luggage! My faves: lavender and lemon.)

To get started:
1) water
2) a bottle of liquid fabric softener (Go ahead - buy  whichever one you like the best even if it is the expensive kind - it last so long that you can afford to splurge! Besides, you will want to like the smell since it takes a long itme to use it up!)
3) a package of sponges (4 or 6)
4) one container with leakproof lid like this one from tupperware.

To make: simply add one parts softner to two parts water, toss in the sponges and you are ready to go! (if you have a big container just dump the who carton/bottle of softner and fill it up 2 times with water and dump those in too! Remember to recycle your bottles/cartons.  We save ours and when we make our laudry soap we fill one of the bottles up and give it away along with the recipe.

To use: take out and wring one sponge and toss it in the dryer with your wet clothes! (Remember: fabric sofnter shouldn't be used on towels it messes with the pile, leaving a residue and thereby making them them less absorbant. And it could lessen the fire resistance of fabrics - so read your labels!! (GH)

Great-Bull-Shihtzu friendly use for Dryer Sheets: We still keep a few dryer sheets on hand.  We read in a dog training book that dogs sense the static electricity in the air when a storm is coming and that rubbing them with a dryer sheet reduces that feeling, hence making them less anxious.  We thought, "what the heck, let's try it."  It really seemed to work, of course Marlee-Sue still tries to eat them while we are rubbing her down, the Shihtzu has just about gotten over her fear of storms now, and the ever attention seeking Pit Bull (Geree) just revels in the massage, lol!!  The Storm stress level in our dogs has significantly decreased.  So, next time your dog is anxious and there is a storm coming run for sheets - it works, try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, ponderings....