Welcome!

Welcome me, welcome you! Athough I am not sure I have much to say, that anyone wants to listen to that is, I thought it might be fun to start a blog and archive my thoughts, pictures, writings, and attempted recipes and crafts! So, this is more of an area for me to be ME and to explore, vent and get creative. Enjoy, I plan to!

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Green and Clean

We are cleaning green!

    After reading up on waste and the environment, my husband and I were just amazed at how much of an impact we have on the environment everyday.  So, we decided that we wanted to makes some changes and live greener!
    We decided to start by making small changes.  I think the first thing we did was decide to not buy paper towels – seems simple – oy vey though, it seemed like a huge loss/inconvenience to me, I did not like it!  It seems silly now though, since we have not had paper towel over 2 years.
    Next we took a few classes as the public library. We learned about how the cleaners we use effect the streams/rivers and their inhabitants, even our animals and ourselves since we were inhaling these toxicants as we used them and leaving behind their caustic residue as we went “cleaned.”
    Once the decision was made to clean only with green products we decided to use up the cleaners, no sense in throwing them into the landfill.  We would use them up and replace them with homemade or bought products deemed green!
    Turns out we make all of our cleaning supplies from laundry detergent to toilet scrub! We are learning as we go.  Some products we like instantly and others have taken some tweaking!


Outcomes of our venture:
 1) We feel better about what we are doing for our health, by using non caustic products.
2) We feel great about decreasing our carbon footprint.
3) We have saved some mega-$$$! (unanticipated, much welcomed outcome!)
    In this entry I will list the supplies we keep on hand then I will go through and do tutorials or recipes on each of the products we use.
Green Clean Supplies:
v  Liquid Castile Soap
v  Baking Soda
v  Essential oils
o   Lavender
o   Tea Tree
o   Lemon
o   Orange
o   Peppermint
o   Rosemary
o   Eucalyptis
o   Other
v  Olive Oil
v  Vinegar
v  Borax
v  Alcohol
v  Borax
v  Washing soda
v  Epsom Salts
v  Cleaning cloths
o   Old t-shirts
o   Microfiber towels
o   Toothbrush
o   Newspaper
Ready, Set, Go!!  You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, ponderings....