Today, I got into my office, unpacked my computer, and started rushing around trying to settle in after a long weekend and a late start after several more biopsies this morning….that went well but left me unexpectedly emotional….
Then I saw my grilled cheese.
I stopped…took a deep breath…and felt mom’s love and prayers across the miles. And suddenly my breath caught and my eyes filled.
Years ago, when I was in college and adjusting to life after being homeschooled, there were moments when I just needed my mom. In those moments, despite the hour or the rules, there she was.
A grilled cheese sandwich.
A hug.
And a prayer.
Nothing fancy. Just exactly what I needed.
Now I live far away, and my grilled cheese isn’t nearly as tasty. 😂 It sits on my desk in the little box she mailed it in, along with her note:
“You will have to use this with my love. So proud of you. Love you bunches, Mom.”
And I do.
Because that little fake grilled cheese reminds me that there has never been a season of my life when I haven’t been covered by my mother’s prayers.
Even from hundreds of miles away.
Even when she can’t show up at my door with a hot sandwich.
I can look over at my desk and remember:
I am loved.
I am prayed for.
And somewhere far away, my mom is still, in her own way, making me a grilled cheese. ❤️

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, ponderings....